Tuesday, August 10, 2010

One year at NREL

I started at the National Renewable Energy Lab one year ago today. While it hasn't really been what I expected, it pays my mortgage, so I won't complain.

I wasn't even looking for a job when I came across this. I was working at Sun Microsystems, and at the time Sun was being courted by IBM. While that deal fell through, ultimately Oracle bought Sun and have been downsizing ever since, so I guess it was a wise decision. It has been interesting working with and for some of the brightest minds in the field. We recently moved into what has been dubbed "the greenest office building in America," so that's been interesting. A little bit of adjustment since I no longer have cubicle walls or a fan/space heater/coffee warmer/anything that plugs into the wall. I do love having such large windows though!

Another nice thing about working here is that it is only about 7 miles from my house, and my husband works about a half mile away. Since we both work 10 hour days (I work 4 10s, he works 5 or 6, so I get the better deal), we carpool nearly every day. Oh, and I can see his building from my desk. Creepy, huh?

No comments: