Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sick

Dude, I have shingles. Nice, huh? The upside is that I missed three days of work for vacation, then I had a four day weekend for Thanksgiving, then I went home on Monday after only an hour of work. Of course any remaining vacation time I had is all gone, but oh well, I have escaped cubicle hell for a while now.

I guess it was only a matter of time before my anxiety and stress level made me really sick... and I am. I left the doctors yesterday with 5 prescriptions (6 if you count the painkillers she called in the day before). On top of the painful, painful shingles, I have some issues with my breathing. I have felt sick for 2 months, but I have chalked it up to being stressed and not having made time for exercise, but it turns out I was really sick all along. So now I have daily inhalers for the first time in my life. Hopefully I can discontinue that once I go back to the doctors in two weeks because those are not my favorite. Also I had to get Valtrex. You know, the medicine that is advertised for genital herpes? Apparently since shingles is in the same family as herpes the medication works on both. I was quick to tell the pharmacist that I have shingles.

Anyway, despite being in pain and in a drug-induced daze, I have decided that I need to work on keeping my anxiety level down. My plan includes making time to explore various creative pursuits (since I used to be creative, motivated, and a self-starter but now I am mostly a whiny sulker) and I am going to start exercising regularly again. I might even take up yoga. I want to start using my instant netflix connection to watch yoga videos. Rob has even agreed to do it with me since he is a sucker for yoga anyway (he is a weird, weird little man - not because he likes yoga, but that only adds to it).

I'm done thinking for now, since I'm pretty sure I'm not doing that great job of it anyway right now, but I will leave you with a picture of my dogs. Benny has long thought of the picnic table as his personal observation deck, but Czara decided for the first time today that if it's good enough for Benny, it's good enough for her...
Oh, and I should mention that I think daytime TV sucks. Which was not the case 5 years ago. What has happened since then?

3 comments:

Kim Bombshell said...

Sorry to hear you are sick! My father had shingles, it is awful! Hopefully this will be your only break out. Get better soon!

O. said...

omg that is awful, I know someone who had shingles and said it was the worst pain in their life. I hope you get better very very soon.

Nicole said...

Thanks! It does suck but it's getting better.