Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 10: Someone who came into my life and made an impact

Day 10: Someone who came into my life and made an impact:

This is another toughie. I could say my dad, I could say my husband (really, it was quite unexpected), I could say that is Kyle, my best friend, who made life in Colorado bearable for me. Of course there are tons of other people as well. Or my friend Julie who I met when I was 19 and waiting tables. She taught me a lot about life. I can't summarize my Julie experience in just a few sentences but the anniversary of her death (6 years can go by so quickly!) is coming, so I will say more about her another day. She died far too young and I can honestly say her death made a lasting impression as well.

I think that many people who make their presence known in our lives leave a lasting impact in some way.

I am definitely a very (overly) sensitive and empathic person, so sometimes the strangest chance meetings make the most impression on me.

The drunk that shared a cigarette break with me and Rob years ago in front of the Skylark, for one. His name was Charles and he was walking home after having bought himself some new boots. He stopped and started talking to us. He told us that love was the most important thing, and that his drinking drove away his wife, Mavis. He said he missed her and loved her and that we looked like we were in love and so we must remember to keep each other first. Then he walked home.

Or the former Charles Schwab V.P. that we sat next to at the counter at The Breakfast King. He lost a lot of money in recent years (although he admitted that it was a drop in the hat for him), and decided to pursue ranching instead of anything involving money. He was down-to-Earth and earnest, and reminded us of the virtue of simple pleasures.

Another one would be the man that my mom and I talked to in Costco a few weeks back. He was retired, but had drove car trailers full of new cars for a living. He said that people would always joke about him leaving one in their driveway. He said that he had always thought that if he won the lottery, he would load up a trailer with paid for cars and do just that... When someone randomly joked that he leave one in their driveway, he would! I found that to be very sweet and kind.

Or the homeless man that I startled with my crying during a particularly bad (and stupid) fight that Rob and I were in downtown (we were 21 so don't judge too harshly). Rob had walked to our car ahead of me and I couldn't remember where we had parked. A sleeping homeless man popped up as I walked by (there was also a police officer trying to help me find the car), and I screamed because I was startled. He looked at me and said, "Why are you crying miss, don't cry. I just lost my daddy, so please don't cry." He said it very kind and sincerely, and all I could say was that I was so sorry, so sorry. But it only made me sob harder. I was reminded that there are people living harder lives and dealing with much more tragic things than a fight with their boyfriend. He provided me perspective in the most unassuming of ways. And yes, I found Rob and my car and we got over the fight and went home and got married, the end.

I could go on forever. Some days I just send out signals, vibes, call it whatever into the universe, I just project that I am thinking about the lonely and the marginalized. That I am appreciative of what the anonymous masses have to offer. And that I want them all to know that I am thinking of them. Not sure if that makes sense. Doesn't have to, I guess.

2 comments:

Kim Bombshell said...

Thanks, I enjoyed reading this today. I have some heavy things weighing on my mind right now and I appreciate a "stop and smell the roses" kind of blog.

Nicole said...

Thanks for saying that. I had been thinking earlier about how dumb I probably sound! :)