Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 20: Education

How important is education? Education is everything. But in saying that, I do not mean formal education. Of course that is important in it's own right, but what is even more key is fighting ignorance, especially in ourselves. I try to learn as much as I can about everything. I try to keep an open mind, and I try to see the lesson in everything. I don't have much respect for the school system these days, be it K-12 or college.* I feel that I received an adequate education, but I also know that I was identified as gifted and had extra direction, support, and freedom to pursue my education. I don't believe that to be the case for the majority of students. I don't even want to get started on these degree factories that we refer to as "higher educational institutes." Certainly there are some good school, classes, and professors, but I was severely let down when I started college. Take their money, move them out. And many of my fellow classmates were not prepared at a high school level and yet managed to obtain their degree. Which is great for, you know, a resume, but shitty in the scheme of life.

And so I took and take classes that I found interesting, regardless of my degree path. 7 years, 5 schools, and hundreds of credits later, I'm still plugging away. Many people would question my judgment, but I remain unconcerned.

But I better jump off my soapbox before I start talking about the bigger conspiracy to keep society uneducated and indoctrinated. :)

Summary:
Learning = excellent.

* I feel like I had the opportunity to take my education into my own hands. I don't think everyone feels that empowered. I do assume that my (future) children will be in public school, so I am not writing off the entire system. I am just going to my best to make sure my children will be proactive in their educations so that they develop a passion for knowledge, in the classroom or out.

No comments: