Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I'm still alive. And pregnant.

Yep, still alive, still pregnant. More pregnant than ever, in fact. I am 35 weeks while still holding strong, it is starting to get uncomfortable. I had some killer back pain last week, and the baby loves karate which makes it hard to get comfy any time of the day. And the worst of it all must be the exhaustion. I am just so darn tired. I can't even get into nesting after a full day of work. But I am grateful for my child's strong kicks and for my husband who helps out more and more each day even after his own much longer work day. I did let the baby know, in the nicest way possible, that I am pretty much ready so as soon as he/she finished up in there, a quick exit would be best. We will see if we have a baby that listens.

I wish I didn't have to work these last few weeks, and I could just enjoy the time, but I decided early on that I would rather have as much time with the baby after he/she is born and so everyday I drag myself into work and stare at a computer for roughly 10 hours. Once I get home the last thing I want to do is look at a computer again, so I am behind on pictures. Which is a shame because I have some very cute photos from my baby shower last Saturday.

Thanks to the three most amazing women in the world, Kyle, my mom, and my sister, I had an unbelievably cute baby shower complete with fun games, delicious food, and very generous gifts. Which of course reminds me that I need to write up some thank yous! And finish homework. And finish baby crafting. And buy some baby essentials that we didn't receive. And steam clean the carpets. Hmmm, now I remember why I prefer to nap on the couch after work. Once I think of one thing I have to do, I suddenly remember the whole damn list.

Completely unrelated, I wanted to share one other thought. I don't have a large social circle, but I do have a very deep one. Sometimes I feel uninteresting, or unappealing, or just plain awkward since not many people seem to get me, or even really like that me that much. I'm sure a lot of that is the energy that I put out, that I already assume that people won't "get" me, but for whatever reason, I feel pretty over looked pretty often. But what I really should be more focused on is that the people that do love me, love me a lot. And I appreciate and love those people more than I could really ever express... They keep me sane, and that is saying a lot!

3 comments:

Carly Anne said...

So, given that you're staying at work as long as possible, how much maternity leave does that afford you?

The more the Mister and I look at our finances, the more it becomes clear that i will have to go back to work at least part time (if I can even negotiate that with my employer). I think I would be in the same camp as you and want to save my time off for the kiddo.

Sigh. They don't make it easy, do they? We recently had friends in from Germany who informed us that maternity leave over there is 3 years. 3 years!! Can you imagine? That would solve so many problems. The U.S. needs to get it in gear.

Nicole said...

I get the standard 6 week short term disability (which is usually at 2/3rd pay, but I have accrued enough sick time for about 5 weeks at full pay), plus I can swing another 2 weeks or so of vacation. So I am looking at a minimum of 8 weeks with pay, then I have the option of another 4 weeks without pay, but I'm thinking it will be more like 10 weeks total, at the most. My goal is to go back part time, but it would be 30-32 hours a week, so really not all that part time. Unfortunately, I have the insurance benefits right now and I can get the same rates at 30 hours a week as 40, but I can't drop below that. My husband is at a brand new company that hasn't picked an insurance vendor yet, so we are keeping our fingers crossed that at some point he will be able to pick the insurance, I can find something that is truly part time.

It kills me to hear about how well new mothers are treated in other countries. I can't even imagine what it will feel like to hand my brand new baby to someone else while I go to work. Luckily we have grandparents lined up as daycare for now, but I would still prefer to be the one home.

Kyle said...

Your last paragraph was like reading my mind... I'm sure that has something to do with why we've been friends for the last 13 years. :) You're awesome. Thanks for sharing all of this.