Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rough Week

The last week has been a little rough. I have a cold, which has been sucking the life out of me. I can't take any medications for it, so aside from vitamin C every morning, there hasn't been much for me to do.

I went home early on Monday, then had one the most embarrassing moments yet as a pregnant woman. I stopped at Whole Foods on my way home (2 or 2:30) because I am a bad pregnant woman and hadn't had anything to eat yet that day. I grab a few items (cream, shallots, sparkling water) and headed out to my car. I had one large paper bag on one arm, and my purse on the other. I was wearing flip-flops (not the most sensible choice, but the easiest given the 1/2 size increase my feet have recently gone through). All of the sudden, I felt myself falling. I tried to catch myself, but can't quite regain my balance. This went on for what seemed like forever until finally, I fell hard. It was terrible. I was somewhere between laughing and crying and some guy rushes over and asks if I need help. I rambled on about "no balance today," and "yes, I will accept help but only because I'm pregnant and can't get up otherwise"... I don't think he understood a word of what I said but he helped me up and as soon as he saw just how pregnant I was, all he could say was "Wow." I grabbed my stuff, rushed to my car, and burst into tears.

I don't know why it upset me so much, but it did. I fell and skinned my knee while pregnant in front of a crowd. So what? But I couldn't stop crying. I called Rob and he felt very badly for me, which helped. What didn't help was that he then went on to criticize my shoe choice, but I guess he was right, so I can't fault him there.

Yesterday I left work early too with the intent to finish up a few things at home and then taking the afternoon off. I went straight home, hopped on my laptop, and then the slow connection made it so that it was 5pm before I finished up (Normal off time is around 6 to 6:30). An hour is an hour though, so I used that time to nap. Which of course meant that by the time I wanted to go to bed for the night at 11pm, I couldn't fall asleep. And Rob felt bad for me this morning, being sick and pregnant and all, and so didn't wake me up when he got up. I had to get ready in about 15 minutes, still was late, still am sick, and still am tired. It's a vicious circle. I've had a great pregnancy, but I really feel like it's time to move on to the next phase. Hear me, baby? I'm ready when you are...


Some random pictures from my phone, mostly relating to the baby. Happy thoughts.





















5 comments:

Kyle said...

Oh no!! You were okay though, right? That's terrifying, but it's really awesome that some random guy decided to help out. Your baby's room is turning out to be pretty fantastic, by the way. I never got the first half of your text message yesterday, so I'll have to call you again tonight. :)

Living Vintage said...

The last trimester is always the worst. I could never find shoes my swollen feet would fit into and always had to by a larger size to wear for a month. Glad your OK and don't worry it will be over soon but then be prepared to get less sleep for a while. My advice to a new mom is ignore all the stuff they tell you and do what seems best for you and your baby.

Nicole said...

Thanks for the support ladies!

Tara said...

I hope you are ok! My sister lost her footing and slid down the stairs on her bum when she was 30+ weeks pregnant with my now 14 year old nephew. Once we both realized she was ok, albeit a bit spooked, both of us (along with my then two year old niece) started laughing and then my sister started crying. I guess that burst of adrenaline makes you go into a "flight or fight" mode due to the protective bond you have for your baby so that fear kicks in. Overall, it sounds like you are ok and it was nice that the guy helped you. Good luck for the big day coming up and try to get plenty of rest while you can! Btw, you look amazing! Pregnancy chic and glam!!

Nicole said...

Thanks Tara! I hope things are going well for you.