Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Week 37



I'm nearing the finish line and even though my pregnancy experience has been pretty terrific, I am more than ready to be done. It really is amazing how I don't even think about how different it feels anymore. I used to be freaked out by every movement in my abdomen, and now the baby's entire elbow can be poking out my side and all I do is giggle and rub the little limb like it's no big deal. After we moved the baby's bookcase into the nursery, I was really hesitant to put things on the bottom shelf. In my head I was thinking about how hard it would be to reach all the way down there... it took a few minutes for me to realize that I used to be able to reach the floor and likely will be able to do so again, some day in the not so distant future!


Anyway, we are ready. Bags packed, nursery 75% done (which is really more than enough considering the baby will be in our room at first anyway), and we are also about 85% done with deep cleaning of the house. Walls, baseboards, blinds, all clean. Birthing class completed last weekend. Which, I should add, was a very good experience. I felt pretty prepared on my own, thanks to the mommyblog trolling I do, but it was nice to have an actual doula reaffirm the whole process. I was the only one in the class who wanted a natural childbirth, although I got the sense that I was the only one who had taken the time to really explore my options either. The doula and Rob and I had a few "offline" conversations that made me really consider switching to a midwife, even this far along, but I think that I will just focus on that for the next go round.


In the last week I have been able to tell that my body is getting ready too. The baby has seemed to drop a bit and I have been experiencing more (painless) contractions, along with some cramping. I don't feel that labor is right around the corner, but it doesn't seem so far off either. Another week or two would be just fine with me. :)

All that being said, I think I will miss some parts of being pregnant. I'm sure I will miss the little movements that put a smile on my face throughout the day. I know I will miss seeing Rob lay next to my stomach and dream out loud of what they baby will be like. Obviously there will be greater reward in meeting my child and bringing him or her home, but I am going to try to really appreciate these last few weeks.







2 comments:

Carly Anne said...

The thing about the bottom shelf is hysterical.

You look marvelous as usual. I hope the "home stretch" continues to go smoothly for you!

Nicole said...

Hmmm... you might also then, find amusing that a few minutes ago I was in the restroom at work and heard a zipper. I thought someone was getting into their purse until I realized that OMG, some people get to wear PANTS with ZIPPERS! That's how I know it's time.