Wednesday, November 9, 2011

I cried over spilled milk

Breastfeeding can be hard. For me, it wasn't until I went to work. No issues with latch, or supply, or anything like. For me, the issue has been pumping. It's just terrible.

Okay, so the freedom to leave my daughter is nice. But feeling like a cow isn't. Nor is running up to the second floor of my building every few hours to sit in a "lactation room" (it's actually quite nice, so I shouldn't complain about that) and pump. Nor is remembering each day to bring my pump to work, then remembering to grab both my pump and milk at the end of the day, then remembering to put the milk in the freezer when I get home. It is completely worth it, but it is hard work.

So today, when I didn't notice that my collection canister was overflowing until it was too late and spilled every where (chair, jeans, magazine), I straight up cried. I'm still sticking to my goal of 6 months because it is so worth it to me, but a week back to work and I'm already cursing the process.

3 comments:

Kyle said...

That sucks, but... you're definitely the best suited out of everyone I know for handling that kind of stress, buddy. Side note, no matter what anyone (and I may be alluding to certain... ladies here) EVER says to the 3 of you, you've done an AMAZING job over the last couple of months, even year, so don't let anything get you down. I'm VERY proud of you and Rob. VERY. Your little lady is in good hands and you've got a beautiful family. I just thought I should tell you that. :)

Carly Anne said...

I would have cried too. No doubt. Kudos for continuing to pump at work though. I have thought about the logistics of that a lot and it never seems easy.

Nicole said...

Thanks Kyle!!! I couldn't do it without such awesome people in my life!

And Carly Anne, it's not easy. We have a spreadsheet that tracks who gets to pump at what time. Heaven forbid an emergency meeting comes up or you loose track of time!